Search engines and websites, imagine your website is a bricks and mortar operation and the search engine is its geographic location. Ok so you build your bricks and mortar store open the doors and wait for people to come to you. Now depending on how well established you are you may get human traffic coming to your shop immediately. But what about if your new to the area. You will need to invest in spreading the word in the community (search engines). This is where Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) comes in.
SEO this is the combined techniques of making your website easily seen by the search engines like, Google and Yahoo so that they rank your site appropriately for and for the correct product or service you are trying to sell. Placing the right words in the right place will help you be seen a lot easier and begin to rank in the organic searches for the correct product or service. Its a effort to aim your website marketing at the search engines to gain there attention.
The ways in which you can do this are :
On-Page SEO includes:
- Incorporating selective keyword naturally into title tags, meta descriptions, heading tags, alt text, etc.
- Blog posts and page copy that is written and optimized with quality
- Clean and formatting page URLS
- Optimised page load speed
- Google authorship incorporated
- Social sharing integration within your content
- And much more!
Off-Page SEO includes:
- Creating a high quality, natural backlink profile (aka having other high quality/authoritative sites link to your site naturally)
- Social sharing signals
- Social bookmarking (Facebook, Instagram)
- List goes on here too!
Essentially what you are doing is creating a clear data
picture and network in the digital environment to give your website credibility. The more you do this the better your website will rank.